Today academic background is not enough for employers to recruit a staff. They also look for acumen in handling jobs and communication of the candidates. These factors are called “soft skills”.
So what are soft skills?
Soft skills is a term used to describe the important skills in human life such as life skills, communication, leadership, teamwork, time management, relaxation, crisis overcoming, creativity and innovation skills … These things are often not taught in school, not related to knowledge, can’t be touch. They depend mostly on personality and characteristics of each person. They decide who you are, how you work, and is a measure of efficiency in work.
“Soft skills” also describes the unique characteristics of the personality in job application as the charm in communication, friendly and positive spirit. “Soft skills” complementary to “hard skills” are skills the employer requires the candidate.
The hard skills (hard skills), in the opposite sense, usually appear on a resume. It shows your academic ability, experience and professional expertise. You may think people will be very impressed with the range of your qualifications, a large number of valuable experience and relationships with people in high positions. However, these things are not be enough to help you advance in your job. You also need to have all the “soft skills” because there’s a fact that successful people is due to 25% of the expertise, the remaining 75% is determined by the soft skills they is equipped. The key to real success is that you have to combine both of these skills.
In a modern life with the dynamic working environment and a lot of pressure, the “soft skills” is an indispensable element for young people to compete with the others and to advance their job. Many employers nowadays really appreciate the soft skills. This is one of the main elements that may decide the success of the application process.
25 basic soft skills identified include:
- Oral / spoken communication skills
- Written communication skills)
- Teamwork / collaboration skills
- Work ethic / dependability
- Critical thinking
- Rik-taking skills
- Flexibility / adaptability
- Leadership skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Working under pressure
- Questioning skills
- Influencing skills
- Research skills
- Organization skills
- Problem-Solving skills
- Multicultural skills
- Computing skills
- Academic / learning skills
- Detail orientation
- Quantitative skills
- Teaching / training skills
- Time Management Skills
How to develop skills?
Almost experienced employers confirmed: the only way to learn soft skills is to practice regularly and constantly persistently. Therefore, you can prepare for yourself a instant reflex whenever you meet the cases.
Taking a skill-learning course with a professional unit is how you approach to the skill-knowledge and begin the process of turning it into your own values.
(Compiled from various sources)